Monday, September 15, 2008

Brighton

I thought I would give an update on each of the kids.  Brighton is doing so well!  She loves Primary, and was so brave about going to her new class here in Ames.  She really has grown up and become less timid this past year.  I've started doing school with her, just 15 minutes a day.  She's not even five yet, so I keep it really low key.  She really enjoys the just "mommy and Brighton" time, and it's really exciting to be a part of her learning to read.  We've only been doing it for a few weeks, and she can already read 4-5 words, and more each day.  

She has such an imagination, and it's really fun to hear her narrate her playtime.  She is a great friend to Brooklyn most of the time.  Her one downfall is trying to force Brooklyn to do what she wants, which as a mother you know is only going to end up with someone crying. :)  And she can be a little bossy, but we're working with her on that.  She also likes to read Logan books.  (side note: someone came up to me in the library a while ago while the girls were "reading" books to themselves, and after chatting with her for a while I realized that she thought the girls actually were reading!  I was almost sad to correct her, she was so impressed with my mom skills. :))  Books are still a BIG part of her day.  I'm always amazed with how well she can remember a story, or even just figure it out from looking at the pictures!  

Brighton has also given a few FHE lessons.  She especially like to tell about the tree of life and the fountain of filthy water.  She's a good listener- she likes to listen to books on tape, to music (she's really good at figuring out the mood of the music), and to me.  I'll be talking on the phone or to James, and she'll pipe up with "what's that mean?" or something like that.  She's getting older and pays closer attention - I'll have to be careful with what I'm saying!

I'll try to get some pictures of the girl up tomorrow.  We love our Brighton!!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Sounds like she's doing great! Kallie misses her and still asks about Brighton from time to time. And, as a side note, I was a very bossy kid, too. I remember my first grade teacher calling me a bossy cow. (Nice, no?) Anyway--I'm happy to say the bossiness has developed into what I feel are leadership talents. Someday, Brighton will make a great leader! :)