Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Semi-deep thoughts

A friend of mine does this, so I thought I would try it out. No pics, just what I've been thinking about! James gave me an article to read that was written way back when the women's rights movement was taking off. Instead of being FOR the movement, it was against it- and written by educated affluent women! I agree with 95% of what was said. This petition stated that while being more involved was good for women in smaller communities, nothing good would come from the complete equalization of man and woman. "This proposal... introduces changes in family life, and in the English conception of the household, of enormous importance, which have never been adequately considered.." "We are convinced that the pursuit of a mere outward equality with men is for women not only vain but demoralising. It leads to a total misconception of a women's true dignity and special mission. It tends to personal struggle and rivalry, where the only effort of both the great divisions of the human family should be to contribute the characteristic labour and teh best gifts of each to the common stock."

I had never really thought about woman's suffrage before, just assuming since it happened that it was a good thing. Now, I'm not sure. Getting rid of the domination of men- oppression in the cruel sense was good, but it would seem that that was the beginning of the downfall of the family. I also just read "The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands" which I found to be pretty insightful. We live in a society that is oppressive to men. Now, woman are told that we can do EVERYTHING ourselves, and we don't need men at all. And that we need to punish men for not being as wonderful as women. There are a lot of oppressed men in marriages today.

I'm really glad to be a woman, and to have the gospel. So I know that I have a divine role as a mother and a homemaker, and a help-meet to my husband. So what if my husband can't remember what he did yesterday, that's what I'm here for, to help! Not to nag him because he can't do something I can. Yay for our divine differences!!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

AMEN, SISTA'! I absolutely loved the part that said in equalization with men, women are demoralized and lose their dignity. That is so true--when we try to convince ourselves that men and women are equal in all things, we lose the special gifts each gender has to offer the world. We cannot overlook those, for it is only through them that we can come together and work as one to establish a solid home. I also LOVE "The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands"--what a great book that reminds women how to use their amazing and wonderful feminine characteristics to build up the men in their lives, instead of belittling and degrading them. Thanks for posting this!