Thursday, April 8, 2010

If you give a child a chore...

they're going to get distracted. :)

Golly, do kids have the shortest attention spans ever?! I'm not asking a lot from them. We don't have to be ready to catch a bus at 7:30am, or to really ever go anywhere before noon. (Which is one of the reasons I home school.) I just want them to be ready for the day by 10:30, so we can start school.

Is that so hard?


Apparently. :)


If I send Brooklyn upstairs to get dressed, she spots the dress-ups and decides to be a ballerina.
If I ask Brighton to make her bed, she finds the book she hid under her pillow and reads for a half hour.
Logan is better, but I have to help him with his responsibilities. Get dressed, brush teeth, comb hair, clean room. I help him with all that.

The girls though- come on! I made them responsibility charts, so I can just ask them to check their charts instead of constantly nagging.

This is one of those kid things that I think is funny bordering on frustrating.
I'm not really complaining, just venting. Kids! :)

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I am right there with you. But, I remember doing everything in my power to avoid doing the work when I was a kid. I just wish I better understood how to teach my children to enjoy working and the results of a job well-done. I guess that takes years, though!

Bethany said...

I feel your pain, Britt! My kids are the same way!

M said...

I can totally realate! I can say that 7 years old has been a real contrast to 4-thankfully!