Saturday, May 15, 2010

M&M's make the best incentives

That is really the only reason I ever have a bag on hand. I don't like bribing with candy, but sometimes it just works best, ya know?!

My latest application of the M&M incentive has been at dinnertime. Lately my kids have had a real problem keeping their bottom in their chair. They have to jump up to look out the window, make sure their toy is where they left it, look at their calendar, and a myriad of other silly reasons to be up out of their chair and not eating their meal. So I give them five M&M's at the beginning of the meal, and take one away each time they get out of their seat. At first most of them got taken away, but after a few times they're catching on. I only give them three now, and not every day. I like the idea of using this for politeness too.

Kids are so much more aware of their actions when chocolate covered candies are staring them in the face!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

We have the same bottom-not-in-the-chair problem over here. I'm going to have to try that. Thanks for the idea!

P.S. My word verification is "anatomy." No kidding.

Laura said...

Oh, that is a great idea! My kids are wiggly too; maybe this would work. Thanks for sharing!

Jenny said...

That is a great idea! I am going to have to pick up a bag at the store today!