Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The Kid's Music Post

I've been meaning to post about this for a while.  I just realized that late at night and early in the morning, when I'm cozy in my bed, I think in blog posts.  But then never post!  I'm so lazy. :)

To start, I LOVE kids music!  After hearing adult song after song about love, sometimes it's a relief to hear a song about dancing hippos, am I right?!  That's all we listen to in the car and at home, unless James is around.  Then we listen to "Dad's music" (radio), which gets a groan from all of us.  :)  My current favorites:

Raffi- the biggest name in kid's music, if you have to start somewhere, start here.  I love his mellow voice, and it's always good calming music.  And I like that he sings about real stuff, like Jane Goodall, Canada, American Indians, and bananaphones.  Baby Beluga is a favorite.

John Lithgow- I know, the actor!  He is so expressive and fun to listen to.  Singin' in the Bathtub was his first album, and my favorite.  I can just picture him singing, having the best time.  

Justin Roberts- I've actually been to a concert of his, so fun!  These are definitely songs for dancing and having a good time.  His Meltdown album is good, but his most recent, Popfly, is my most favoritest.  

Steve Roslonek- I guess he's getting pretty famous, being on PBS and having performed at the White House easter egg roll.  His album Marvelous Day is so fun.  Spurtle the Turtle is my favorite.  And Fast Monkey. :)  This is fun upbeat music too.

Jessica Harper- I like her rich, mellow voice.  And her talking/singing style that makes it seem like she was just talking to her kids and turned it into a song.  Rhythm in Her Shoes is our favorite.

Tom Chapin- kid's folk music.  He also sings about cool stuff, like the origin of ragtime, recycling, shyness, and lemonade stands.  Check out Billy the Squid first, we love the Ghost of Bleak House.  Brighton and Brooklyn can pretty much sing the thing from memory. (Okay, I can too.)

So there you have it folks, a good starting list.  Wait, I forgot Sandra Boynton!  Check out all of her CDs, they are great.  Philadelphia Chickens has Kevin Bacon, Kevin Cline, Meryl Streep, Laura Linney and more performing.  Happy listening!! 

5 comments:

Walking in a Hayes said...

Thank you!! I think you read my mind... I have been trying to figure out which CD's to get for Jaxon and I was going to call you and ask you who your favorite kids artists were. But you beat me to it! I am getting tired of singing the few kids songs that I can remember from when you guys were here, but Jaxon loves them!! Every time I sing them he gets all excited and smiley. I will have to find some of these artists cd's and give them a try, thank you!

M said...

I get in the car and I know what the girls are going to say; "Mom, can we listen to Britney's cd, please?...Yay!Yay! Dinosaur Song! Dinosaur Song!" To be honest, it wears on me, but they Love it! Thanks for sharing!

Benson Fam said...

One of my plans in '09 is to go to a childrens concert with Carter. For me or for him, I'm not sure...

Mandy said...

I love your music recommendations! We are stuck here on Disney princess music and so I have every princess song memorized! AH! I will definately try those out! :)

April Cobb said...

Those are such good ones. You know, I also love They Might Be Giants kids CD. It is so funny and fresh.