Thursday, December 11, 2008

Blessings

Whenever I start to think that I am having the yuckiest time ever, blessings start slapping me in the face. Which is exactly what I need when I'm feeling sorry for myself. Yes, I do have down days. Even though I have exceptionally easy kids and a wonderfully helpful husband. Sometimes my positive attitude can't pull me through.

One of my biggest problems is that I feel that I (well, we)have to struggle and work so hard for things. Especially of the financial sort. Jobs never land in our laps, even though my husband is such a great employee that every employer he has ever had lavishes him with compliments and raises. See, another blessing. Even though James started out at a measly $7.5o an hour a few months ago, he's already been given an un-heard of $1 raise. Stuff like that. I feel like if things are crappy, if I just wait and have patience and faith, I see the blessings. So it's hard to be down for very long. :)

Anyways, what was I saying? Oh yeah, struggling. Maybe this is what life is like- budgeting and being careful and doing without. I'm getting pretty good at it, it's just the Christmas season. At first I can't think of anything I need, but after a few days, the list gets longer and longer. Why can't I have $150 boots, huh? But I do live pretty comfortably and have three clean happy kids- and so on. So why gripe about having less shoes than the average female?

I think all these tight budget years are to teach me a lesson. James doesn't need to learn it- he's happy with 20 bucks a month to spend on fast food. If only I could be so content! :) It's definitely me.

I can't remember my point now. Just that I'm thankful for my blessings!

3 comments:

Carrie said...

That is a great way to look at life. I wish I had that perspective all the time. I feel like I am either stressing out and hoarding money or spending like crazy (crazy for me, anyway) and then regretting it. Sigh.

Anyway, have a Merry Christmas!

Danielle Smith said...

We definitely have to think that one day we will be financially comfortable. Like when we are our parents' ages. Things do get better, but I do understand the hopeless feeling at times. If you can find some boots you like at JCPenney I could get you 20% off. My husband works for the company and I would seriously hook you up. We have already hooked up a bunch of people this season. Just let me know iemdani@hotmail.com.

M said...

google just acquired Time Life's photo collection; dust bowl families, children in factories, shanty towns...looking at those recently really brought it home how fortunate I am. What would it be like to meet those people and complain about things I think I "need" today?-that is what keeps it real for me, because we all want more.