Wednesday, February 3, 2010

It's like I have a 9 year old boy...

Brooklyn is obsessed with bodily functions and noises. She loves to talk about bottoms and other parts of the body- she'll even have conversations in the bathroom between herself and her bottom.

She voices both roles.


I'm sure this is just fine and normal, although annoying. We've restricted her potty talk to the bathroom, but right now our current issue is burping. She looooves to burp at meals. We tried to give her timeouts for burping, but they weren't having an effect and I didn't feel like it was a logical consequence. So right now, if she doesn't want to use her manners she doesn't get to sit at the table with us. If she wants to burp she has to eat in the kitchen.

I like this consequence, and I thought it would work because she hates being separated from the family. However, in this case, she doesn't care. She's happy to sit and burp it up in the kitchen.

How to kick this habit?!? Will she just grow out of it? Any ideas???

7 comments:

Jenny said...

Tell her dad to stop teaching her such things behind your back! I am only joking. They all have some bad habit we wish they would kick.

Hannah S said...

I am glad to hear my 5-year old boy and 3-year old girl and not the only ones obsessed with potty talk. Samuel can't burp so we haven't had to address that issue. I wash out their mouths with soap...but they do it quite a bit. I am curious to see what others advice is bcse I am lost too.

Melody said...

This is hilarious! And actually I think your consequence is probably a good one; she might be loving the burping so much right now that it doesn't bother her to be separated from you when she does it, but one of these days it will bother her, and she'll knock it off to be back at the table.

Bliss' said...

It is funny but at the same time I understand your pain. J is doing the same thing. The burping doesn't bother me as much as the potty talk. Which he gets in trouble for.I have an uphill battle with the burping. Your dad thinks its funny & has been teaching him.

Benson Fam said...

Duck tape her to the wall. I've always wanted to know if that works...:). But seriously, I think it is a phase and after a few weeks in the kitchen she will grow out of it. This is based on years of wisdom and experience and oh-yea, I only have two kids and I have no idea what I'm really talking about...

The Hansens said...

oh that is so funny! Im sure it's just a phase that she will grow out of! your project... oh my! i LOVE IT!! You are so creative and how fun for the kids to play. Your kids are getting so big!

Laura said...

This is just too funny. I grew up in a house where my dad was a terrible example as far as burping. When my niece was little (probably 2 or 3), she let out a huge burp one day and then said, "Just like Grandpa!" She got over it.

Until that day in your family, good luck with the new eating arrangements!