Sunday, January 10, 2010

Birth Story- written months ago and never posted!

I like reading/hearing others' birth stories, so I'll go ahead and post mine. Even though it's pretty boring. :)

I feel like I jumped through hoops to avoid a c-section with this baby! The Ames hospital doesn't perform VBAC's (vaginal birth after cesarean), which means I have to go up to Des Moines, a 45 minute drive. My doctor was really understanding of my situation, so I was seen here in town by a midwife until 36 weeks, and then transferred to Des Moines. I wanted to put off the long drive until absolutely necessary.

My OB was up-front about practice policy of only going a week past due, but since Logan was 10 days late I asked if he would make an exception and let me go longer if I happened to go overdue. Good thing we talked about that possibility!

On the 22nd I was 11 days overdue, and had tried {almost} everything I could think of to kick-start my labor. Otherwise I was scheduled to go into the hospital on Friday. My sweet sister Dawnelle, who was flying in the next day to "help" with the baby that was a no-show, called and bullied me into taking castor oil, the only thing I hadn't tried. Really, she wouldn't hang up the phone until I took it. She had already called James the day before and had him buy it. She called again at 4pm to make me take another dose. I started having serious contractions at 6:30pm. I knew they were serious because they were in my back- I have always had back labor. I hung around and ignored them as long as possible, because I did not want to make the long drive just to be sent home. I gave James the nod at midnight, and we headed out. (note- my bro-in-law happened to be visiting, so we didn't have to call anyone on my 5 person labor phone tree. Score!)

I had a CD with ocean sounds and music that I had kind of practiced Hypnobirthing with, so I did my best to relax on the way to the hospital. It worked pretty well, but my back was killing me.

After we made it to the hospital the nurse told me I was dilated to a 7/8 and had a bulging bag of waters that was probably preventing me from dilating further. I said, "Great! Don't break it until I get my epidural!" Last time I delivered not long after they broke my water. I got my drug of choice, the doc broke my water, a few contractions later I felt like I needed to push. I didn't have to push too long and Spencer Rollie was born at 2:47am.

The doctor didn't know that we didn't know the sex of the baby, so I had to ask while they were cutting the cord and cleaning him off. :) James insists that he told me but I guess I had stopped listening to him. :) They put him right on my tummy to finish rubbing him. I really liked the hospital and my nurses were really considerate of me. I snuggled him for a while and we were all talking about how big he was and wondering how much he weighed. The nurse asked me (!) so politely if she could take him to weigh him and all that other stuff. Really! She just waited there until I was ready to let go of him for a few minutes! I thought that was cool.

So, the end. Healthy baby, good delivery, easy recovery. Let's do it again! :) Well, after I kick my body back into shape anyway.

3 comments:

Hannah S said...

Just curious, do you think it was the castor oil that really helped? Or a combination of everything else you had tried and being late? any pointers on what else you did to help him come sooner?
Way to be determined on not getting a c-section too.

Bethany said...

That is neat, Britt. I didn't know the details!! I can't wait to meet little Spencer in a few months!!

Elicia said...

Brittany... what can I say I am the worlds worst friend... I am so happy for your amazing family and your birth story is really awesome! You are awesome. I tell everyone you are the worlds best Mom! You really are. 4 kids, wow,and I know you will do it at least 2 more times... You are so wonderful and I look up to you, and miss you tons. My life has been a little busy, and if you still want to be my friend, give me a call... I actually posted something on my blog, so shoot me a message there, or email or call... I am so happy for you and your newest little bundle of Pure Joy!