Tuesday, November 4, 2008

On the road again...

Yesterday I drove to Wichita to help out my family. Well, I guess I should say something about my trip to Phoenix. It was tough seeing my mom in the Neuro ICU. She couldn't really talk, and was hooked up to all these tubes and things. Her left eye was a little droopy from her surgery. And it was hard when the nurses would come in every shift and ask her questions, like her name. She couldn't remember it. She had a hard time understanding what they were saying and wanted her to do. After a few days there, she got to move out of the ICU into the acute ward. That was much better as they didn't have to bother her as often. My dad had a hotel room, but we (meaning Christy, my mom's sister who was there from the beginning) pretty much stayed at the hospital the whole time, only going back to shower and change clothes. We ate peanut butter and honey sandwiches and any leftovers from mom's hospital plate. :) We took turns sleeping on the couch and recliner.

It was really neat to see her start physical and occupational therapy. She was trying to hard, and it was encouraging to see her be able to do things like brush her teeth. And starting to walk again. She improved a lot every day.

Anyway, I won't say too much about the hospital because she's doing so much better now. I was there for a week, then flew home for a week before driving out. It's only a 7 hour drive, so not too bad. I brought the kids, but James has to finish up the semester. The plan was for Mom to be in a rehab hospital here for 2-6 weeks, but she was done with that after 4 days. She really didn't need to be there. So she came home yesterday, and she's been doing really well. I get my kids up and fed, then I go upstairs and wake her up and help her shower and get ready for the day, and then I get myself and my kids showered and ready for the day. My mom is walking so great now, without a walker or any help. She can't walk too far because she does get tired. And I usually hold her hand so I can tell if she's getting off balance. Because of the stroke, she's partially blind in her right eye. She hasn't adjusted to it yet so she runs into stuff a lot because she can't see it. She's talking a lot more, even though it doesn't always come out right. When asked today how tall she is, she guessed eight feet. :)

Right now, she always needs someone to be with her. And to help her get her meals and take her medication. Part of that seems weird, but really she is doing soooo much better than when I first saw her after the stroke. And I'm glad that I got to be with her at the hospital, because I don't think I would have realized what she has recovered from. She has been so strong, even when she was scared because she didn't know what was going on. I'm so glad that I could give back a little.

3 comments:

Hannah S said...

Wow Brittany. You're incredible. Not that I didn't already know that. What a challenge. To take care of not only your young children (which is difficult for me alone) but your mother too. You're a saint!

Amanda said...

Wow--you've had a LOT going on. I'm so glad your mom is doing well. She's had quite the eventful year, huh?

While I'm here, I wanted to pass on that my friend who makes bows is doing a giveaway on her blog. You can win free bows! :) There are other fun things to win, too. I thought you would love it. Tell her I sent you when you leave your comment! :)

Unknown said...

I was wondering how your mom was and glad to hear she is recovering. You have a lot on your plate right now! But you always seem to handle everything with grace. Brett is a nurse in a trauma neuro ICU and can relate to what your mom is going through.