Sunday, August 10, 2008

Scripture study

I just finished reading The Book of Mormon.  When Pres. Hinckley gave the church the challenge to read The Book of Mormon, I made the commitment to read it every year.  It's been so great!  I want to start reading it with a different focus each time, and this next time is going to be looking for attributes of the Savior.  I'm going to get a $5 plain copy so I can make lots of notes and markings.  I like reading "naked" scriptures so I read everything fresh.  I've noticed that sometimes when I'm reading a passage that I've highlighted, I skip over it instead of reading more carefully.  Does anyone have ideas for next time?  Different things to look for or to focus on, and so on.  Thanks for your thoughts!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Great job! After marking up several new copies of the cheaper Books of Mormon, I started picturing 20 years down the road when I have 20+ Books of Mormon on my shelf! So, I decided that instead of marking one each time, I would just keep a scripture journal and my scriptures will remain unmarked, (instead of doing one method or both). I think I will go through when I finish again and mark my favorite passages and verses--just for the sake of future reference. But, other than that, this set will be blank.

One of my favorite ways to mark was something I did on my mission. I chose several topics--like repentance, baptism, etc. and assigned a certain picture or color to each one. (It kind of developed as I went...) For example, for repentance, I drew a bandaid over the scripture. When it talked about keeping records or the plates, I drew a picture of the gold plates. I drew a gavel (with a number for years) in the verses where it talks about the reign of the judges. And, I drew other random pictures, when I found a verse that talks about those things--like a fence when they talk in Alma about fortifying the cities. But, other topics, such as faith or Jesus Christ, just had specific colors. (Those are a little hard to draw.)

Anyway--that Book of Mormon is now a treasure to me. The pictures are definitely not perfect, but I feel that drawing the pictures helped me retain a little more of what I read that time through. I hope you enjoy your read next time! :)

Brittany Hall said...

I had thought about how many copies I'll be going through, but I just love to mark and write in my scriptures. It helps me learn. And maybe someday my kids will be impressed and awed at the spectacle of 30+ Books of Mormom on the shelf. :)