Monday, September 17, 2012

Before and After




I haven't posted very much about my house, which has been a work in progress.  But it's our first, and we still love it!!  This is showing the changes we made to the fireplace.  The "before" picture isn't very good, because we had already taken down the black curtain hanging over the TV area, and I wallpapered over the black behind the bookshelves.  

Before:  
yucky 70's wood shelves
black behind bookcases
huge black mantel
painted black doors to cabinets

After:
bookshelves painted white
beautiful mantel made by my hubbie
wallpaper behind shelves
counters and cupboards stripped and stained
decorated with the help of pinterest (decorating is hard!  I need inspiration! :))

We're about done with this room, and I'm so glad that it's not the dark cave it was before!  I want to paint it a slightly lighter tan, and paint the brass accents of the fireplace insert to be silver.  I'll have to get a picture of the whole room, but we swapped out the plaid couch for another brown one, switched up the arrangement of the room, and painted the bow window white.  

James and I are a good team, and we usually have some project in the works.  Right now we're taking a breather, but I'll try to keep posting about the changes we have made to our house in the last year and half we've lived here!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I hear you about always having a project going. It seems some part or another of our house is always having work done. This month, we're finally starting work on our family room! Your after pic is inspiring to me. We're going to put built ins on either side of our fireplace--similar to what you guys have. I can't wait to see what else you've done!

Becky said...

It is so fun to see!
It is hard to get inspired!
Thank heaven for Pinterest, huh?
Love ya!

Unknown said...

I love the progress! Looks great!