Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Poop Problems

Something else that has occupied much of my thoughts lately: Poop. And Logan.

Logan has had a bowel issue for about a year. He always got constipated about monthly and would have really painful bowel movements. When I potty-trained him, he just didn't want to poop anymore because he associated it with pain. It took me a while to figure out he had a problem other than potty-training troubles. By then his bowels were pretty impacted and stretched out. Which led to encopresis (you can google it if you want to), which basically means impacted bowels to the point where he can't feel the need to have a bowel movement because he's so stretched out and so poop just starts leaking out and he can't control it.
Super. Fun.

And I feel like this problem has led to other behavioral problems. He is so much more sensitive and unhappy than he used to be. And unwilling to try new things. And going to the bathroom has become a constant problem between us as I try to be patient and not get upset with him for constantly messing his pull-up and not wanting to go to the bathroom. I miss my sweet boy!

I took him to the Dr and he prescribed Miralax as a stool softener, which I don't think was a good idea. He has no control over his bowels, and it made his poop so runny that he would have big accidents all over. Outside. Playing with friends. :(

This problem has been hard for me because I don't know how to fix it. I have a new game plan now, which involved an enema to clean him out good, a low dose of Miralax to keep him from getting constipated, and a sticker chart for reminding him to use the bathroom. Actually, that's only half of it. My treatment plan also involves chiropractic adjustments, essential oils, change in diet, massaging his intestines to keep his digestion moving, and reflexology. And perhaps getting his energy tested if things don't start improving. And then maybe voodoo. :)

This problem usually takes months or years to clear up, so wish me luck! And please, if you've gone through this before or have any ideas that might help, please share!

6 comments:

rychelle said...

i haven't gone through it...we had some poop issuses with Will...but it was never like this! You are doing great and let me know if there is anything I can do to help! And I know a great energy coach!

Unknown said...

sorry, no advice but I have heard of other kids having this problem- so you are not alone!

Bliss' said...

Bryon can no longer blame J's problems on my side of the family :) I don't know if you remember but J started having problems when he was 4 months old. We went through a bunch of testing only for the gastroenterologist to say he would grow out of it. Which he did but it wasn't easy. We did the miralax, enemas,and suppositories. Evenutally Benafiber worked the best for him. We also did white grape juice and as high fiber diet as best we could (J doesn't like bread.) We also did chiropratic treatments. J still has problems and it takes him forever to do his business but we have come a long way from 4 years ago. The best advice I can give you is get it out. As you probably know if the poo stays in too long it can do long term damamge. I have had to explain to J that if the poo stays in it will hurt his body more. Potty training was hard for him but when he finally finished it helped his problem. I know I can't solve his problem and I know what it is like to pray everday for your kid to poo. It sounds like you are doing everything you can. We will keep you in our prayers.

Laura said...

Oh my! My oldest sister's friend has a daughter who went through this—for years. I don't know if she has any long-term complications, but it was a struggle. I could ask my sister if she knows any details about how they treated it if you'd like. Good luck!

Melody said...

So sorry for you and Logan! It sounds like you already have a lot of great ideas, so my only advice is go on babycenter.com or a similar board and connect with other moms who are dealing with the same thing. That alone can be life-saving, or at least sanity-saving.

Red Bed Head said...

Didn't check the date on this post, or know if the plan has worked, but if you are desperate and serious about the voodoo, try acupuncture (if you haven't already) I love it! had great success with it for several problems, except morning sickness, didn't help, bummer.