Monday, January 31, 2011

Yes, we did it.

I guess we bought a house. Thanks for all of your comments- It was really helpful to read through them and feel normal for freaking out. Those people on House Hunters(HGTV) never seem to be freaking out. What's wrong with them, eh? :)

I'm feeling pretty good about the decision. Our tax return is going to be twice as big as we were planning on (thank you, poverty! :)) and I keep finding ways that we're going to save. Of course, we also keep finding more things for the house that we're going to need to pay for. The house is in a great area and we are getting it for $30-50K less than the other houses on the street. But the previous owners didn't really update some big things like the roof, furnace and windows. The outside AC unit is getting old too. So those things could all break as soon as we get in the home, or last for several more years. Who knows. And the outside is pretty ugly. And the owners had dogs. :)

On the positive side- it's got tons of room (four bedrooms, an unfinished basement) and a great big backyard. So I think it will be okay. We close on February 28th, so we have some more waiting to do. And then DEFINITELY there will be some crazy cleaning going on. And then moving in. And then organizing. Yay! I love organizing. :)

As I've thought about buying a home, I have some serious psychological hang-ups. The responsibility of owning a home- it makes me feel old. Like the four kids I have don't do that. See, maybe there is something wrong with me! Sigh. :)


6 comments:

Megan said...

Oh good for you!! Randy and I are going through some of those same feelings as we look. We also benefitted from reading other's comments here--so thanks! So happy for you!!

Jenny said...

You will love owning a home! Congrats!

Amanda said...

I am so happy for you! Finally, a place of your own. Isn't it strange when you reach the more settled time of life? After being transient(ish) for so long, staying in one place for a while seems daunting. I've decided to not worry about looking forward--but just try to enjoy where I am right now. I can't wait to see pics of YOUR house!

Benson Fam said...

Man, I was sure you were announcing a pregnancy...

Melody said...

Congrats, Brittany! Despite my voice of warning, you guys are so careful and organized and on top of it that you'll be great homeowners. And it really is great after years of renting to finally be able to put your stamp on a place. You'll have tons of fun with it. Post pictures when you can!

McCreary Possee said...

WOW! Totally made/makes me feel old too. And I'm already older than you... Can't wait to see pictures! Wish I could be there to help with the cleaning and moving or just watching the kids.