Thursday, October 16, 2008

My mother

Well, a lot has been going on. My mom had a go-kart accident (I know, crazy) a few months back which revealed that she had a brain anuerism. It was determined that because of the size and location of it (kind of sitting on her brain stem) she needed to see one of the leading neuroligists in Pheonix, Arizona. She flew there for surgery last Friday. The surgery went well, but after a few days she still hadn't woken up. After lots of tests and waiting, it was discovered that she had had a stroke, and her brain was swelling a bit. She's still expected to gain everything back, except maybe her right peripheral vision. The news of how she's doing seems to change hourly, and it's been hard to get the information to so many people. (8 kids, remember?)

It looks like she's starting to recover, but it's going to be slow going. I'm flying out this Sunday to stay with her at the hospital for a week. She has her good friend Christy there, which has been a big help. I've been through so many different plans this week- driving to Kansas to be with my younger siblings, flying to AZ, my older sister flying here, finding friends to watch the kids, etc. I'm so tired of thinking! I'm glad to have a solid plan locked in. My younger sister McKenna is flying here to help watch the kids while James is at work and class.

This has been so scary for me. I feel like she's going to be okay. It has been really stressful to find things out a piece a time, especially for the few days when she just wasn't waking up. We didn't know whether to be worried or not. I'm really glad to be in a position to go and be with my mom. And I'm glad for the priesthood- she's had several blessings. We've also fasted for her recovery. It's brought our family closer together as we all try to help out.

5 comments:

Danielle Smith said...

I am so sorry to hear about this. I love your mom, such a wonderful woman. She will definately be in our prayers. Keep me updated. These things are so hard and scary to deal with.

Jenny said...

Sorry to hear the news on your mom. I hope that she makes a full recovery and that things go smoothly while you are with her. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!

Amanda said...

Wow--what a shock! Was the aneurism caused by the accident? If not, do they know when it happened? PLEASE keep me posted on what's going on. Since I used to live in AZ, I have a lot of contacts down there. So, if you need anything, please let me know and I will see what I can figure out for you. I hope you enjoy the fabulous AZ weather this time of year! :)

Red Bed Head said...

I am glad they found it and we will pray for a full and speedy recovery.

Benson Fam said...

You put that very well, I got tired of thinking this week too. I'm so glad you are with mom, wish I could be. Be strong, I love you.