Thursday, July 24, 2008

You have officially left Provo...

So, my car got keyed today. Funny story- I was in the McDonald's playplace (I know, don't judge me) and there was a woman there with her daughter. I say woman but I'm not sure if she was over 20. She got into a heated discussion with someone on her cell phone and started swearing up a storm- her most favorite expletive being the f-word. After she hung up on the person, I politely asked her not to talk that way in front of my kids. I promise- I was polite!! She didn't say anything, but soon after that walked out of the store and- KEYED MY CAR!! What do you do?! I guess I'm naive and sheltered after Wymount, but why would a person be using language like that in front of children!? I'm not so much upset about my car, but her reaction. What ever happened to being nice?

So of course I've been stewing over this since it happened. Should I not say anything for fear of a knife in my tire? Is this what living out in the real world is going to be like? I've actually experienced a situation like this before- where I've needed to ask someone to watch their language. It was some construction workers that were eating their lunch near where my kids were playing. But they were fine about it and apologized. This lady's response (as well as her phone conversation) showed a real lack of maturity. I'm sad for her and for her daughter. Hmm.

6 comments:

Amanda said...

Wow--most people apologize when you ask them to stop. I can't believe she keyed your car. Too bad you don't have more info that you could share with the cops. I would have been LIVID, and like you, still stewing about it afterward. (Probably for weeks!) :)

When we were in Seattle, I was thinking about how much more on guard I felt in general being out of the Provo bubble. And then, as I was pulling our crappy stroller across deep sand at the beach, (which, BTW, takes forever!), someone suddenly picked it up and helped me without offering and without my requesting it. I was amazed, (and SO grateful!), and my guard came down quite a bit.

Unfortunately, people like that lady you encountered have either had or created such horrible situations in their own lives that their reality gets seriously twisted and they think destroying property is an appropriate response. Don't you just wish there was a Supernanny for adults? LOL! "This is your warning...if you use the f-bomb one more time, you'll have to head to time out." I hope you encounter more people there who will restore your faith in the goodness that most people have.

Bliss' said...

You are better than me. I would have never said anything to the lady. I would have grabbed my children and left as soon as I saw the lady angry. You showed a lot of courage to stand up to her.

Bryon and I were surprised when we visited Wymount becuase of how free parents were with their kids. We could never do that here. My guard is always up when I am out.

Carrie said...

The bubble has been popped. Yeah, I think men tend to be nicer about it. Maybe it is because you remind them of their mommies, but hotter? Perhaps if the woman wasn't already really peeved she wouldn't have taken it out on you. I bet she must have been having a REALLY bad day, or maybe she is always like that. Who knows? In any case, I agree with what you did, and I too feel sorry for her and her kid.

Ashley and Jared said...

Brittany... we went to a firework show on the forth and a guys behind us was swearing like crazy. and my cousin turned around to ask them to not swear in front of their kids. the kid got so mad "and I say kid because he couldn't be more then 15 years old" he stood up and asked my cousin if he wanted to fight about it( while his parents sat there and watched him do this). it is crazy what this world is coming to. But just remember that pays to be nice even if someone else is mean. well I hope guys are doing well!

M said...

Or you could've tried the passive-aggressive, "that's right Brighton, some people have bad manners and don't realize that bad words can not only hurt others but make themselves look ugly--oh, hi--was that you we heard-from Accross the play area?!"

Aunt Andrea said...

That was no "lady". Ladies and Gentlemen don't use such language even in private. And a lady is more aware and considerate of those around her. It gives me such joy to see my sisters-in-law and neices & nephews raising such terrific Ladies & Gentlemen