Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Still moving...

Let's see, to recap-

The kids and I spent a few fun days with my sis-in-law and friend Bethany in West Jordan. We made t-shirts, went to Wheeler farm and the Children's Museum up at Gateway. It was a really fun visit, I'm sure going to miss their family! We drove to Denver (8 hrs) to spend the night at a hotel with my family. The kids did really well on the car ride, thanks to months of planning! :) I have been getting books, movies and music so they would have some new things for the trip, as well as dollar store things that I wrapped up and chucked to the back seat when they needed something to do. My friend Rachel also gave me this great idea to put names of cities that we would be passing through on masking tape and put them on the ceiling. She made a little car for me, so the girls could see as we moved along our route. They loved it, I highly recommend! I didn't get any "are we there yet?" and they loved seeing that we were getting closer to the end.

After Denver, my family drove to Buena Vista (3 hrs) for some river rafting! My dad has been planning this for years, and I'm so glad it finally came together. We had three really nice cabins (I've probably been turned off to tent camping forever) and I got to spend two days on the river. I was worried that my kids would be bored, but they had so much fun! Gathering sticks, building "fires", throwing rocks in the creek for hours- Brighton made up a lot of songs about the trees and flowers. :) The town was small but super cute - we all had a blast!! Weather was beautiful, I just can't say enough. I was really sad James missed it, but hopefully we'll go back.

We drove to Kansas (8hrs) and spent about a week there. We went down and had some fun in Peck (45 min) at some property of my mom's friend's parents. If that makes sense. They have 180 acres, a pond, paddleboats, go-carts, a pony and cows. Lots of fun. My family has a pumpkin farm that they are working on. I was able to see my good friend Elicia, who is also my favorite hairdresser. :) I can't post pictures until we get our computer unpacked, but wait until you see the bright red chunks! Elicia calls it "spiderman red", and it certainly is. Super fun!! :)

I was planning on staying with my family for a while, but since James hasn't gotten the call to go back to his summer work, I drove to Iowa (8 hrs, turned into 10). I just love him too much! Iowa State University is about 3 hrs from here, so when our apartment is available we won't have too long of a drive. Which is good, because the kids are done! I'm still getting used to the humidity (ick) and my first night here we had a huge storm which woke the kids at 6am and took out the electricity. We were out for about 4 hrs I think. The Dairy Queen down the road was giving away ice cream because it was melting! There are still a lot of people without power. Crazy. I'm grateful our electricity is working, because I don't know what I would do. Drive back to Utah and call it quits, maybe. :)

I have to get back to my kids, but I'll post later about our apartment frustrations and other stuff.

6 comments:

Amanda said...

Glad to know you're still alive. ;) We sure miss you around here! I still have to remind myself that you're not just gone temporarily. I can't wait to hear more about your adventures!

Hannah S said...

Busy busy. .Did you do all this driving by yourself?

Sean and Melissa said...

It sounds like you've had quite a trip! The river rafting sounds like fun. Hope getting settled into to your apartment goes smoothly.

Brittany Hall said...

Oh yeah. Only one of those 8 hr trips did I have help with (my younger sister Briley came- thanks!) Otherwise, I was driving solo. Sounds crazy, huh!

Bliss' said...

We are glad to know that you made it through your travels safely. I sent your socks and pictures Hannah had drawn for your girls to mom and dad's. I don't think you will see your socks again but thanks for letting me borrow them to go bowling. We are sorry to have missed all the family fun.

Carrie said...

Wow! What a great road-trip! Your ideas for entertaining the kids (and Rachel's btw) were great. I will file those away in the old brain box for future reference. I am glad everything went well!