Sunday, March 25, 2012

My new view


This is what 5 kids in a packed minivan looks like. Is it shallow of me that I am not looking forward to getting a 10 seater van? I won't be able to park it in my garage and I've waited 10 years to have a garage.

*sniff*

I wasn't looking forward to three kids in a backseat and the fighting and mean elbows that were sure to come, but it hasn't been too bad. There were a few of those elbows at first and arguments about not being able to reach their buckles, but after about a month they settled down and got used to it.

Being completely honest- five kids is hard, yo. I've been feeling really overwhelmed. Mostly because of homeschooling, but also because of a big house and me not allowing the kids bigger responsibilities. Well no more of that! During spring break, the kids mastered: (well, kind of) vacuuming, doing the dishes and cleaning the bathroom. We also employed good ol' Mr. Gunny Sack who promptly ate up two pillow cases full of their toys because they weren't cleaning up after themselves.

Since they've been helping with more of the cleaning, things are going MUCH more smoothly. I just need to allow myself more than three weeks time to adjust to adding a new baby to the mix. Most of the time I love my kids and can be the happy mom. If not, I shut my bedroom door and snuggle my baby for a few minutes. That always helps. :)

8 comments:

Randy said...

Our gunny sacks are pillow cases and have been dubbed 'the pillow case monster'. I love him.

State of Bliss said...

Brittany, you are my inspiration. I hope I'm half the mom you are by the time I have 5 kids!

Cindy said...

I have always admired how you handle everything....you are super-mom!!! Homeschooling, adding a new baby and all of your talents, you always seem cool and calm:) You are always trying to conquer a new task and are still, even as busy as you are are still helping others....like I said...super-mom!!

Benson Fam said...

Stop showing off and have a real melt down already :). I can show you how if you want, I am a professional at melting down and I only have four kids (yes, I said four). Glad things are looking up.

Mandy said...

Wow, Brighton really looks like the Bliss family! I enjoyed reading your posts about having 5. I have to admit, that is still going to be a big leap of faith for me. I'm still waiting to feel like I'm managing well with 4! :) Ha! Good job!

Becky said...

Great job, Mama!!!!
You are amazing and awesome and being a mom is hard work!
Great job letting the kids learn to work and clean up! They are darling and we miss them so much!
I miss ya, babe. I could use a little hang out time, right about now!

Unknown said...

wow, five? I remember when you just had two girls!

rychelle said...

Hey, Congrats on your sweet boy. I am happy things have gotten easier!!