Thursday, January 19, 2012

Baby #5

Simon David Hall
January 14th
3:04 am
6 pds 6 oz
19 inches long

And only four days late, that good boy! This is me, recovering from being slightly freaked out because my labor was really fast and I didn't have time to get my epidural. I had been slowly laboring the night and day before, and then after an evening of no contractions I figured that nothing was going to be happening. I woke up at midnight with pretty painful contractions (back labor again, ack) but they stayed about 8-10 minutes apart. After an hour I woke James up so he could help with some counter pressure on my back. I called my midwife and told her I was about ready to come in, and we called James' parents to come over and woke up my mom who was coming with. We left for the hospital at 2am. When I got checked in I was dilated to an 8. I asked for an epidural and they were really coy about it, like, "well, we need to get a bag of fluids in you and get you all checked in and then we'll see where we are." I guess that's better than saying, "there is no way there is going to be enough time, silly lady, you are on your own." My midwife came in and checked me and said that I was complete and crowning and that the best pain relief would be to push that baby out. Eep.

In between contractions I was going to a deeply zen place also known as exhaustion, and trying to relax as best I could. I know a lot of ladies put a lot of stock into "natural" childbirth, sans drugs and all, but I have never been one of those. I have always appreciated my epidurals, but mine have never made me a limp noodle. I can still move my legs, feel contractions, and even get up and walk afterwards. But I only have mine going for a few hours, not all day. Mebbe that makes a difference. And maybe in a month or so I'll be talking about how beautiful and naturally wonderful it all was, but right now all I can remember is HOLY CRAP MY CROTCH. 'Cause that's what it felt like. And the stitches afterward? I remember reading something about how you're all numb because of the pressure and all that, but that is BUNK. Felt. Every. Tug.

I really loved my midwives and the hospital I delivered at. James actually got to deliver Simon, isn't that cool?! After the head was out, he got to pull out his shoulders and body, wipe him off with a towel and put him on my stomach. He said it was "fun". And I'm SO GLAD. SO GLAD that this could be a fun experience for him. Snarky sarcasm aside, I am happy for him that he was able to do so much. He's wanted to since baby #1.

I'm really big into asking for lots of help with my other kids the first week after a baby so I can get lots of rest. So of course as soon as I bring this baby home my other kids all get sick with yucky croupy colds and are stuck at home. And I tell you, I'm not responsible for what I might do if they all keep coughing incessantly. It turns out I'm really short on patience and sympathy when I'm tired. Hmm.
So to sum up this long post, I now have 5 kids (ack!), my bottom hurted, I like epidurals, and sleep. The End.

12 comments:

State of Bliss said...

Oh, Brittany, I am so sorry about the epidural! I know almost exactly how that feels (literally). It's been three months since Gavin was born and I still don't feel like natural childbirth is "beautiful" or anything. Give me pain meds please! You can let me know if you feel differently in a few months :) Good luck with kiddo #5 and I hope your kids get better soon! :)

Randy said...

Wowow!! Glad you survived. I think I would be the same without my epidural. Hope your kids get better faster and that I could take you over some meals. Congratulations! --Megan

Melody said...

Brittany, can I say, I just love you. This post made me laugh right out loud. Thanks for sharing the truth about natural childbirth (I'm another epidural lover). Hope your crotch recovers quickly.

Unknown said...

beautiful boy! LOVE the name! I tried to get Brett on board with that name a couple of years ago when I was expecting Parker. I love this post, it pretty much sums up my feelings on epidurals and birthing as well.

Danielle Smith said...

Congrats on baby #5!! Isn't a weird feeling to say you have 5 kids, 5!! I still don't feel like I do. I loved reading your post! It was a very entertaining read. Thanks for making me feel more normal.

Walking in a Hayes said...

Ouch!! I am so glad Simon was a good boy and can only four days late, but ouch! I am so sorry you weren't able to get meds!! So cool that James was able to deliver him though, Braeden thinks it would be fun to do sometime. I hope you are recovering quickly and that your kids are feeling better so they can go on play dates and let you have lots of naps!!

rychelle said...

Yay!! I have been wondering when you were due! Congrats. Simon is adorable! Sorry for the pain yo had to go through...just imagine if he was bigger...eek!!

Laura said...

I'm a little late to the game, but congratulations! What a beautiful baby! I also want to say that the last line of this post is maybe my favorite summation of childbirth ever. How the family's well and that you're getting some sleep.

Becky said...

YEAY!!!! What a post! And that boy is such a doll!
We love you guys!
PS So glad you guys came over tonight! I love ya babe!

Jenny said...

Congrats on baby number 5. He is darling!

Red Bed Head said...

Don't tell me #5 is hard, crap... just crap... I keep telling myself that I get to have another cute snuggle love and that makes it all worth it!
And on somewhat related topics...My hubby wants to switch to an 8 seater toyota to eliminate the backseat issue...I thought a new car sounded great, so I gave him the budget and told him to squeeze a car payment out of it. Have fun with your minivan for another 18 months!

Elicia said...

Congrats and he is so sweet looking. I have a Simon too:)